Wednesday 9 January 2013

Thank you for the....

We decided to sit down and write our thank you letters. I say 'we' decided. To be more frank, I decide it was time it was done...

Good grief it was like pulling teeth. KC, who has problems with writing anyway, diligently sat down and copied everything I wrote down for him first. Unfortunately, his writing is so bad that most of it is pretty unintelligible but at least he got there... TJ on the other hand... sigh...

Where KC struggles, TJ can cope. His writing is fine... his stamina and concentration powers are close to zero. The first three letters went by without a hitch. Then the whinging started... 'my hand hurts...' closely followed by... 'my back hurts...' then came .. 'I have a headache.' To all of these I had the stock reply, 'well, if you are in so much pain I think once we have finished instead of playing Skylanders you should go to bed and rest.'. The threat of Skylanders removal is a blessing (thank you for that great gift Grandma and Grandpa - a thank you letter is on its way - from me!!!!!)

This argument got us through a few more letters then he changed tact... 'Why do people have such long names?' (he objected to having to write Uncle... and Aunty.... He even want to write Pa and Ma instead of Grandpa and Grandma, even though that would have changed the meaning of his letter), next complaint was, and I kid you not, 'Why did people give us so many presents?' - I think even I was stunned by that one and simply said, 'well, we can give them all back if you like.' Finally, he turned to me and said, 'I think you should write all the letters and I should just sign them!' Obviously TJ has me mixed up with his PA. Anyway, it took over 2 hours to write 10 letters - I was nearly suicidal. I have also stopped drinking alcohol for the month in suport of Cancer Research UK - its their Dryathalon Caompaign and I signed up to it in a flurry of good intentions. Papa looked at me knowingly while I signed up saying 'We have two kids... I give it two days!' I nearly succumbed on that day - but true to my word I held off. I have taken to drinking plain tonic water and pretending its laced with gin!

Then I went upstairs. I heard a commotion from KC's room. I opened the door and it looked like the butterfly cage in the zoo - except with moths. When he was given a gecko by his godparents they came with the usual godparent warning, 'Beware if the wax worms are not fed to the beast within 2 weeks they will become flying moths.' He had heard the moths rattling around in the box and rather than taking them outside opened the box to see what would happen. Cue small child leaping around the room with the butterfly net from his science kit! It would have been quite a beautiful sight had it not been for the fact that Papa is terrified of moths (I have no idea why - I told him they were just the less pretty cousins of the butterfly, but that didn't go down too well). So we then spent 30 minutes rounding up moths....

Last night KC dropped the cricket house - where crickets live before they are fed to the gecko.... crickets are much harder to catch than moths and they hop under beds!!!!!!! I hope we got them all.... And one of the rabbits has now decided it would rather chew its way out of its hutch than stay in bed all night... I have to be careful before we enter the garage in case it hops out, or the cat gets in there.... oh the joy of having pets!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment